Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Ignoring health warning signs ….. I lost my trust



Most of us may know that two out of every three Indians suffer from gum problems and they may be aware of it also. Blood can be the sign of bigger gum problems if left untreated. True isn’t it? And one should not ignore the warning signs our body gives as part of “Body wisdom”. The story won’t stop here...
You may also know that there is a yawning gap between health care provider (Physician/Dentist) and consumer (patient). Most of us learn to negotiate with our physician in early childhood by accepting the bitter medicine in lieu of injection shown by the physician as a weapon. My physician had a successful deal with me and my parents were happy and they got the formula to win each time, I was not well. But, there was something happened within me as a child, I lost the trust not only of a physician in particular but medical community as whole. I never wanted to see a doctor; the script was written for the life of that child and the link was missed to that script as well.
To start off with an identity of a patient has excluded the majority of people who are not ready or interested in seeing a dentist or taking on this new identity or disease.  It is important to keep in mind that a statement such as ‘I have a problem’ or ‘I think I should have to see a dentist ’ or ‘I have to do something about this’ is not the same as a resolution to change in the near future as part of internal dialogue.  I mean, there’s the health issue. You know, I need to sort myself out because of the … the deteriorating gums or so to say blood I see but do nothing for it and ignore the body wisdom too”  because I lost my trust. 
S.Vatsyayan 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Breaking Barriers: A Dialogue on Challenges in Social Work and Community Well-being

During a recent discussion at the XI Indian Social Work Congress 2023, Suneel Vatsyayan* had a thought-provoking conversation with Dr. Sud...